Anxiety is one of the most common mental health conditions experienced by people. It is a natural and beneficial psychophysiological response that helps protect an individual from potential dangers by changing behaviors accordingly. During times of increased or prolonged stress, our body’s normal anxiety mechanism begins to work in overdrive and becomes maladaptive. Almost a third of the population will experience anxiety at some point in their life, with women being twice as likely than men. It can prevent us from fully enjoying life by limiting our activities and disengaging us from social events. It may even interfere with the amount of sleep an individual gets by increasing the difficulty of falling asleep or the likelihood of waking frequently through the night. Both of these heighten the levels of stress on our bodies and further perpetuate the problem.
In recent research on the brain, cannabidiol (CBD) has been shown to reduce and even prevent the negative effects of anxiety. Researchers have discovered that CBD acts on certain receptors within the brain to release key neurotransmitters and reduce the effects of hyper-response in the amygdala and hippocampus, both areas associated with anxiety. The receptors CBD acts on have even been proposed to be key targets for anxiolytic drugs because of their effectiveness. In addition, CBD does not produce any of the sedative effects often seen with typical anxiety medications, such as benzodiazepines, and it has none of the psychoactive effects associated with the other well-known and researched cannabis sativa phytocannabinoid: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
To learn more about the potential therapeutic effects of CBD for anxiety and recommendations on dosages, check out the other articles on this site.
- 3 Ways CBD Affects an Opioid Addict’s Brain
- A Comparison of Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Overdose Mortality
- Addiction and How CBD Can Help
- Cannabis Use Disorder in Adolescents Treated with CBD
- Cannabis Use Provides Better Outcomes in Methadone Treatment for Opioids
- CBD Hemp Oil Treatment for Alcoholism
- CBD Hemp Oil Treatment for Cannabis Withdrawal
- CBD Hemp Oil Treatment for Cocaine Addiction
- CBD Hemp Oil Treatment for Mental Illness & Addiction
- CBD Hemp Oil Treatment for PTSD & Anxiety
- CBD Just Made Quitting Cigarettes Easier
- CBD Reduces Drug-Seeking Behavior in Individuals Addicted to Heroin
- CBD: the Newest Therapy for Nicotine and Cocaine Addiction
- Inhibition of Monoacylglycerol Lipase Reduces Nicotine Withdrawal
- New Studies Look at CBD as a Treatment for Addiction
- Physical Effects of Binge Drinking